Wednesday 5 November 2008

Ever seen a blind man cross the road?

Something happened to me this morning. I was on the bus on my way back home from the hospital after yet another appointment. It was just like another day, people went to work, and I went to the hospital.

A blind man with his gorgeous black labrador guide dog got on and asked the bus driver if he could let him know when the bus got to Sainsburys so he could get off. He stood, waited patiently as the bus strolled along the roads of South East London.

The bus stop where he was getting off was my stop too, so it just came naturally to me to offer to walk/guide him there. It was about 200 metres out of my way, I wasn't having a very good day, my legs weren't functioning properly, I had already fallen in front of the hospital earlier and I was walking with a crutch. It could have been so easy for me not to say anything and just get off the bus quietly. Afterall, I was just as disabled as him!! But I really wanted to help and it seemed to me that he really needed help. I just wanted to do what little I could.

He was so gratful. I took him there, got a sales assistant to help him so he could get everything that he needed. He said thank you, shook my hand and we parted ways.

The extra 15 minutes of my journey home didn't change my life; but I felt so humbled that I was able to help someone who needed help more than me. I always thought that having multiple sclerosis would be the be all and end all for me and that I was never going to be able to do anything normal again.

And it's right that nothing is normal now, but I realised after today that things can be as normal as can be, I just have to know my limits. What's normal to me may not be normal to anybody else. So what does it matter really?

.

No comments: