Thursday 27 November 2008

And the drugs don't work...

The number of pills I have to swallow every day just keeps rising. Fifteen of them in the morning at the last count. White, pink, blue, round and rectangular ones. Just as well I don't have a problem swallowing pills; one of my friends would rather have her eye gorged out than swallowing pills, probably why she was never good at hangovers.....

I was prescribed a new anti-spasticity drug last week after seeing my neurologist. I started taking it on Monday. I think it's doing the trick as I can bend my knee a bit easier now, but only time will tell. But I tell you the side effects are not something that you'd want. Dry mouth, to the extent that I can't talk (which might actually be a good thing!) and sedation. I passed out all afternoon for the first two days.

My neurologist wanted to prescribe me some other anti-spasticity drug but I refused as it makes you put on weight. You might think me vain. I probably am. I have put on two stone since I became ill. It pains me to look at younger photos of myself. I was thin. Well, not thin thin, but healthy. I used to go to the gym four times a week and I felt good about myself. Now I can barely pick my feet up on a bad day. I missed running on the treadmill and breaking a sweat. Now I break a sweat just by walking out of my front door! The drugs that I take make my body temperature bonkers, I call myself menopausal. I have not worn my winter coat for two years. I miss wearing my nice thick coats and jumpers....

.

No comments: